The month of February is known for more than just Valentine’s day. Football fans across the country watch their teams intently hoping to for them to make it to the super bowl. This can be a challenging time for those with new year resolutions since the super bowl is known for friends and family joining together, rooting for their team, and indulging in beer, wings, etc. Don’t let this upcoming super bowl be your cheat day; stay on track with these healthy super bowl snacks that are sure to be a touch down at your party!
Guilt Free Potato Skins
Lover of all things potato? Who isn’t! Potato skins are delicious and using sweet potatoes can make this snack that much healthier. You will love this sweet and spicy flavor combination while watching the game.
You will need:
6 medium sweet potatoes
1 cup shredded mozzarella (part skim)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
½ cup salsa Verde
2 scallions (sliced thinly)
1 cup black bean chips (crushed)
½ avocado, pitted (cut into small pieces)
We have our ingredients let’s get started:
- If you would like to prep the potatoes (baked, cooled, and refrigerated) the day prior to save you time, you can do that. First things first is to place an oven rack in the top of your oven and preheat it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place your sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake 40-50 minutes, or until “fork tender”. Let cool completely. Once cooled you can proceed to splitting each potato in half lengthwise, scoop out most of the inside, you want to leave about ¼ inch or potato in there so it borders the skin. You can save the scooped-out insides for mashed sweet potatoes!
- Next you will preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Put a rack on top of your baking sheet. You will then align the potato skins with the skin side facing up on your baking sheet. Brush each skin with 2 tablespoons of oil, and then bake until skins are a light brown (usually 20-30 mins). Let cool completely once more and cute each potato skin in half crosswise.
- Finally, you will need to place your potatoes skin side down on the rack. Sprinkle each skin with mozzarella, Parmesan, and scallions. Put them back in the oven and bake 8-10 min or just enough for the mozzarella to melt. Remove your skins from the oven and add a drizzle of oil. Time for the final touch! Top each skin with a little salsa Verde, avocado, and crushed chips.
Craving Buffalo Wings but Not the Calories?
Instead of trying to not make eye contact with a delicious deep-fried chicken wing smothered in buffalo sauce why not make something similar but healthier! Most people have a buffalo sauce fetish, especially once it comes time for super bowl parties. Don’t deprive yourself of deliciousness make cauliflower buffalo wings!
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into large evenly sized pieces
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon of cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of ghee, melted, or neutral high-heat oil (example being expeller-pressed canola oil)
3 tablespoons of Franks Red-hot sauce or whatever hot sauce preferred
Salt and pepper
- Okay let’s get started! Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit then line a large baking sheet with foil. Next you will throw your cauliflower pieces with ghee and season with salt and pepper. Lay out the cauliflower pieces evenly across the baking sheet and roast. Flip half way through and bake 25-25 minutes or until your cauliflower is tender or starting to caramelize.
- While your cauliflower is roasting, melt some butter. Pour it into a small bowl; then stir in the hot sauce of your choice and vinegar. Pour this mixture over the cauliflower and stir it around to make sure it covers each piece. Continue roasting the cauliflower until the sauce is heated through, about 5-10 min longer. Change your oven to broil and watch attentively so it won’t burn, 1- 3 min. Serve cauliflower hot with ranch dressing on the side. If you would like to make your own dressing be sure to look online!
Sweet potato skins and cauliflower buffalo wings are not only the perfect pair, but a perfect super bowl healthy snack! There is an abundance of healthy snacks that could be a hit at your next super bowl party; but be sure to try these fan favorites. Don’t just stick to veggies and dip. Kick off your party right with these tasty treats.